If your computer starts working slow and the Task manager manifesting the massage that “high CPU or Memory usage by setuphost.exe” then this article must help you out regarding this issue. In this article, we will take you through some steps of troubleshooting for this high memory used by modern setup host and also let you acknowledge the details of this technical issue happening with most windows 10 users. We have tried to answer three commonly asked questions in this article for our Windows 10 user which are as follows.
- What is the Modern Setup host in Task manager?
- How can you fix the Modern set up Host in Task Manager for CPU consumption?
- Why Modern setup Host consumes High memory usage?
What is the Modern Setup Host in Task Manager?
The Modern setup host or Setuphost.exe is an “Executable file”. This file you can find inside $windows.~BT folder placed inside your system drive. This software needs to run with the user’s permission in the background to update your PC to Windows 10 or a Windows 10 build. You will able to see the modern setup host in Windows 10 only if you installed the Windows Beta version that is known as Windows technical preview.
The modern setup host will run automatically when your device downloads a Windows update. The setuphost.exe also runs installation files for Windows 10 updates.
In a nutshell, the Task manager is mainly linked with your windows update. At the time of upgrading if there were any technical issues or processes go wrong then your system will run slow.
How can you Fix the Modern Setup Host in Task Manager For CPU Consumption:
Fix 1: Run the windows update troubleshooter:
One of the simplest ways to repair your Modern setup host by running Windows Update Troubleshooter. In windows 10 it is provided as a built-in tool but if you are using windows 7 or 8 versions then you need to install a troubleshooter from any Microsoft authorized domain.
- Windows 10 users follow these steps:
- Tap on the Windows logo key or click on the search bar.
- Now type “ Troubleshoot” on the search bar and press enter.
- On the next windows click on “Windows update” then click on Run the troubleshooter, which would automatically start updating trouble shooter.
- Now after running the troubleshooter if it detects any issue with your device fix it and if this doesn’t detect any issue then click on other fixes.
- Windows 7 & 8 users follow these steps:
- You need to go to an official Microsoft website and download the troubleshooter.
- Once you downloaded the file and double click on it to launch.
- Select windows update and then click next.
- Now the troubleshooting process will detect any issue and fix it.
- If it doesn’t fix the setuphost.exe issue then skip to the next one.
Fix 2: Use the DISM tool to scan the Corrupted file:
Sudden power off while windows update can create a corrupted file that causes high CPU uses and memory too. But Microsoft has builtin fix windows 10. DISM tool ( Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to correct these issues.
- Follow these steps to execute the DISM tool:
- Tap on the search icon visible on the screen.
- Type “cmd” do not use quotes.
- To run commend prompt as an administrator right-click and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Once command prompt windows will appears, type the following command one by one and then press the enter key.
When you enter these commends the scanning process will start and it may take much time. After the process is complete if the problem he next fixes it.
Fix3: Perform Clean Boot:
If you still see a modern setup host that does not respond to an error, you need to make a clean boot. Running Clean boot on Windows allows the system to operate only those programs that are required to perform simple tasks. There is also some background programs conflict with Windows updates.
- To perform the clean boot in Windows 10 follow these steps:
- You need to open the run dialog box first to that press Windows key +R.
- Now write “ MSConfig” and click on ok.
- Once the new window appears on the screen click on “General Tab” and deselect “Load Startup Items”.
- Then go to the “services tab” and click on “Hide all Microsoft Services” appearing at the bottom of the window.
- Now click on the “ disable all button”.
- No need to click on “Startup Tab” and click on “Open Task Manager”.
- When Task Manager is open, you need to tap on “Startup Tab” and disabled all startup tools that showing enable status.
- Now close the Task Manager and go back to the system configure Windows and press ok.
- Now you need to Restart your PC.
If the system is rebooted, try installing Windows Update. This will certainly solve the “modersetuphost.exe”, and your PC will demand nominal CPU usage.
Fix 4: Delete All Item in Software Distribution Folder:
There is a software distribution folder in Windows 10. It stores any redundant or temporary files that are often needed for Windows Update. This folder also triggers a “modernsetuphost.exe” configuration error. You need to uninstall all the temporary files in it to fix this problem.
- These are the following steps by which you can delete all the Distribution Folder:
- You need to open Run Dialog Box for which you need to Press Windows key + R.
- Type the following commend C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download and then click Ok.
- Now press Ctrl+A to select all and delete all the files.
- If you see the commend that “folder access denied message pops up” then delete commend “do this for all current items” option then click on Continue.
- After this run up process, you need to restart your computer.
This is expected to solve the modern host setup issue.
In this article, we have tried to provide you best-to-best solution to fix the modernsetuphost.exe file. If your system showing you this kind of issue we would like to request you please apply this step-by-step approach to resolve this issue we hope after following all the steps you will be able to fix this error and if you find any glitches through these step please get back us through the mail we would be happy to help you.